So I'm not one of those savvy people who know how to deal with a broken car. Boy did I have a day to learn today.
There I am, jamming out to a song on the radio. Probably lame, but I was jamming out anyways. I was sitting at a stop light on the bottom of a pretty busy hill. When the light turns green I hit my gas pedal.
Nothing.
I try again. Still...nothing... Uh-oh. I then realize that my car is no longer on. The song I was jamming out to was dronning out the silence that was my cars engine. I try the ignition, thinking maybe..it stalled? (I knew it would be bad if an automatic stalled..but I had hope) Still nothing.
I quickly hit my emergency lights, and cruised to the side of the road, just enough momentum to get me to the abandoned parking lot of an old deli. I put my car in park and try to start it again. It makes the "i really want to start noise" but still nothing.
I panic. Because that's what I do when anything happens with my car. Cars remind me of my Dad. If I have to think about a car, I then have the urge to call him. And for obvious reasons, I can't. This is in addition to the onslaught on Father's day stuff I saw today. So I start to get panicky.
I call B, B says he'll come to get me. I call AAA and they are sending a tow truck. I call my mom. Probably give her a heart attack. The woman who answers the phone won't page her because she's in a meeting. I claim "it's an emergency" hoping she'll just page her. No, she didn't page her, she finds her and says "Your daughter is on the phone. She says it's an emergency"
Anyhoo. Apparently Victor had either sprung an oil leak, or ate all of his oil. I think..I might have come close, but not too close to seizing the engine. Either way, it wouldn't start.
Victor's at the doctor. I am hoping that he will be okay. Really hoping.
Bye bye un-needed, but really desired Macbook. Hello car repairs!
Thats it for now. I think I'm going to write something more insightful tomorrow.
Wendy Kozol’s The War In-Between
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment