So I had one of those lovely ah-ha moments today. Except rather than make me feel smarter, it kind of, well, made me feel like a moron.
So a couple weeks ago I applied for a paralegal position in prov. Not the most ideal job that I would look for. Not bad either. I just figured that with my new found spark of interest in law; trying something law like would show me whether or not it was a good idea. So I applied. The detailed description said 50k a year. That's incentive...
How 10 years old of me. "WOW that's a lot of moola...i want to be that!"
I applied. Using this thing called applejobs. Mainly a database for employers to use, to kind of filter out those that don't have what it takes.
They took my info. I got harassed by Univ. of Phoenix for a week and reference forms went out to those individuals I listed. Sweet.
Then I heard nothing. Absolutely nothing. Slightly battered, I moved on and might have potentially found a good starter dream job.
But today I found my assumptions to be false. For whatever reason, while checking my email I saw that my "Spam" folder was quite full. I checked it. Inside were 7 or 8 inquiries for information. From law firms. Looking for paralegals...
Had I almost lost an opportunity? Yes.
Did I possibly save that chance? Maybe.
One person had sent two emails. The initial and then a follow up, informing me, Tia, that they were still interested. Was I?
Maybe..
About 10,000 thoughts started racing through my head. Competitive salary...great benefits...tuition reimbursement(big plus in my mind)....a job....a real job..
Paralegal....lawyer slave...(ok not really, but really)...intense job outside of my immediate experience.
i know I could do it, sounds interesting. Why not?
So i responded to the inquiry message, resent my resume. Now just to wait.
Now, had I just checked my Spam mail a week ago... I geuss the lesson learned is to check; always to check.
Current job situation is hairy. Monday was a surprise lay off. 18 people were let go, their positions eliminated, their lives changed. They were all really good people, who had been there a long time. Gone.
Including my supervisor.
Today I went and met with "the big guy". My new supervisor. I have had interactions with D before. Never unpleasant. This time was suprisingly good. I was nervous going in. Afraid that the words "the program has been eliminated" would come at me. I felt like a small little mouse headed into a lions den.
However, with short stories and lots of good conversation, my program survives. And possibly more good will come out of this than I had originally anticipated.
Sigh.
Also, I told him. I told him that I have had job opportunities presented to me. He seemed understanding. Even gave me a great handshake to congratulate my upcoming graduation. (I will have to write a post about my stigma of handshakes)
Maybe my leaving won't be so difficult. Maybe I can move on to the next phase of my life without tripping.
School is almost done. I have to figure out how to write 2 papers, a 13 page and an 8 page before Tuesday. I shouldn't of procrastinated.
However, if I hadn't it would have ruined my 4 year groove.
7 more class sessions. 2 1/2 more days.
1 exam. 2 papers. 1 assignment. 2 quizes.
And i'm done.
Woah baby.
And when I have a big girl job..I want this little beauty.
Wendy Kozol’s The War In-Between
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment