Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wonder and Discover

Yesterday, I graduated.

I realized what kind of impact certain individuals truly have had on me in the short (although it felt long) four years I was an Anchorhead.

Mary, one of many fabulous anthropology professors I was lucky to come into contact with, has been an inspiration. For one, she works with monkeys. Which I think is just fantastic. But the true reason I have enjoyed being in her courses so much was made into a synopsis by her own hand. On NPR there is a program called "This I believe" Although I rarely get the opportunity to listen to it, I always enjoy and feel enlightened by what scholars, non-scholars and average-joes have to say. Mary submitted an essay to the regional NPR program and it was featured on the radio. I didn't get to hear it during the first transmission, but due to the magic on Internet I was able to hear it.

She wrote about how, although educated, she seemingly knows nothing. Point blank, that there is always things to discover and rediscover, everyday. That learning never stops and with that the wonder of discovery.

I guess hearing these words gave me hope. One of the most uncomfortable things about leaving college has been the idea that I would begin the hum drum lifestyle of a working girl. I don't want you to think that I'm ignorant, or have this negative vision of what having a career would look like. But I guess I'm just so accustomed to going to school learning and moving on to a new and exciting subject.

I suppose that was what was so exciting about the chance to go to Costa Rica. Unfortunately I just can't afford it right now. BUT I have learned that I might be able to go in January. SO I'm going to start saving my monies now, and with pennies and nickels and dimes, the thing that would stop me in January would NOT be the lack of funding.

In the end I just want to experience the sense of wonder and excitement. I think I will make it my goal this summer to learn something new everyday, and really take in the experience, but also appreciate it.

I also want to try new things. Place my inhibitions behind me and really experience life.

So I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment